Being the twelfth version of Android, Android “Lollipop” was the 5th major version of Google’s Android operating system and was given the codename of Android L, during the development. On June 25, 2014, Android Lollipop’s developer version was released at the Google I/O conference. On November 3, 2014, it was officially released for the public. Android Lollipop was first released for the selected device, which runs distributions of Android services. Material Design is the redesigned user interface and one of the crucial changes in the Android Lollipop version release. Also, notifications can now be accessed from the lock screen and can be displayed within the application. By replacing the official Dalvik with the Android Runtime (ART), Google changed the internal platform for improving application performance.
Features and Functions of Android Lollipop:
The Android Lollipop version supports various special features. Some of the important features of Android 5 are discussed below.
The developers can specify the elevation values of elements within the apps with the use of the Material Design. This automatically creates shadow and perspective for the user. The famed typeface Roboto of Google is also updated by Google. Thus, the developers can now use one optimized font across a number of different platforms.
Full access is brought to the notifications right on the lock screen. The full list of notifications can be got by swiping down. A completely new kind of notification is also introduced by Google. It is called a “heads-up”. This notification is easy to engage or dismiss.
Lock Screen Enhancements:
With the introduction of the “personal unlocking” feature of Android Lollipop, the Android device can now determine whether the device is in the owner’s hand or not. For this, the Bluetooth devices that are in the range, locations, and even voice are taken advantage of. For example, a Bluetooth watch asks for a password, when used, and is then removed.
While Dalvik was used for the previous version Android 4.4 KitKat, the Android Runtime (ART) is used to run the Android Lollipop version. As compared to Dalvik, ART makes Android run “twice as fast”. The Android Runtime (ART) includes a variety of changes such as “garbage collection”, as it has a 64-bit runtime.
Better Graphics with Android Extension Pack:
The graphic support was also improved by the introduction of the Lollipop Android Runtime (ART) based operating system. Graphics qualities like geometry shaders, tessellation, and many other things designed for gamers were supported by the Android Lollipop version.
Project Volta was introduced by Google to improve battery life. To help the developers to optimize the power consumption in apps, the JobScheduler API was announced by Project Volta. A “Battery Saver” mode is also added by Google in the Android Lollipop version. This “Battery Saver” mode can be brought-out configured or manually to be enabled automatically when the battery is low.
Other features of Android Lollipop:
- It facilitates the support for 64-bit CPUs.
- It facilitates the support for print previews.
- It facilitates a refreshed lock screen.
- In the Android Lollipop version, widgets are no longer supported.
- It facilitates refreshed notification tray and quick setting pull-down.
- In the Android Lollipop version, Guest logins and multiple user accounts are available on more devices.
- It facilitates Audio input and output through USB devices.
- In the Android Lollipop version, the recently used applications are remembered even after restarting the device.
- In the Android Lollipop version, WebViews gets the updates independently through Google Play for security reasons.
- In the Android Lollipop version, Tap and Go allows users to quickly migrate to a new Android device.
- It facilitates updated emoji.
- It facilitates Bug fixes to the Overview screen.
- It facilitates support for multiple SIM cards.
- It facilitates device protection, i.e., if the device is stolen or lost, it will remain locked until the owner signs into their Google account.
- It facilitates the improvement of the notification.
- It facilitates various bug fixes.
- It facilitates Native Wi-Fi calling support.