We already know that we require software for running an android application on eclipse IDE. Here, we will discuss the various software required to manually set up the android for eclipse IDE.
Step 1: Install the JDK.
Step 2: Download and install the Eclipse for developing android applications.
Step 3: Download and Install the Android SDK.
Step 4: Install the ADT plugin for eclipse.
Step 5: Configure the ADT plugin.
Step 6: Create AVD.
Step 7: Create the HelloWorld android application.
Install the Java Development Kit (JDK):
JDK is a must to install while developing the android application with the Java language.
Download and install the Eclipse IDE:
Install the eclipse first to develop the android application using the Eclipse IDE. Here, we are using the Eclipse IDE for JavaEE Developers, however, the Eclipse classic version is recommended.
Download and install the Android SDK:
Download the Android SDK first. For installing it, double click on the .exe file.
Download the ADT plugin for the eclipse:
To develop the android application in the Eclipse IDE, the ADT (Android Development Tools) is a must. To provide an integrated environment, ADT is designed as the plugin for the Eclipse IDE.
Follow the below steps to download the ADT:
- Start the Eclipse IDE.
- Select Help > Install new software…
- Write https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ in the work with the combo box.
- Select the checkbox next to Developer Tools.
- Click next.
- A list of tools to be downloaded will appear.
- Click next.
- Click finish.
- Restart the Eclipse IDE after completing the installation.
Configuring the ADT plugin:
It is necessary to inform the Eclipse IDE about the Android SDK location, after installing the ADT plugin. Follow the below steps to do so:
- Select Window menu > preferences.
- Select the android from the left panel.
- A dialog box will appear asking if it is desired to send the statistics to google.
- Click proceed.
- Click the Browse button.
- Locate the SDK directory.
Example: C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk .
- Click on the Apply button.
- Click OK.
Create an Android Virtual Device (AVD):
It is necessary to create an AVD for running the android application in the Android Emulator. Follow the below steps for creating the AVD:
- Select Window menu > AVD Manager.
- Create the AVD by clicking on the new button.
- A dialog will appear.
- Write the AVD name.
- Choose the target android version.
- Click the Create AVD button.
- Create the HelloWorld Android application:
Now we can create and run an android example. We can start with a simple example like creating a Helloworld android application. We will discuss it more in the next tutorial. After this, we can move forward towards developing some complex android applications.